Effective Date: May 25, 2018
Your privacy is important to us at Pranger Law PC and its affiliates (collectively, “Pranger”, “we” or “us”). This Privacy Notice (“Notice”) explains what information we (as a data controller under applicable data protection laws) collect, use, share, and retain, how we protect it, and the choices you have. This Notice applies to the information we collect through PrangerLaw.com (“Site”), and the information we collect online and offline in connection with the provision of our products and services (collectively “Services”). We encourage you to read this Notice to understand our privacy practices before using our Services.
Pranger is a law firm specializing in Intellectual Property and Advertising law, and provides counsel on all aspects of searching, clearing, registering, managing, watching, policing, investigating, enforcing intellectual property. Further, Pranger counsels on advertising, marketing, promotions such as sweepstakes, contests and other consumer engagement calls to action. Pranger also manages and represents clients in claims, disputes, alternative dispute resolution, and litigation.
Information we collect
We collect information about you when you provide it to us, when you use our Services, and when other sources provide it to us, as described below. We collect the following types of information:
- Information you provide through our Site: You provide us with your email address when you sign up for our newsletters and legal alerts. This information is mandatory if you would like to receive our newsletters. If you want to contact us, you can email us directly using our contact information we share on the Site: prangerlaw.com/contact
- Information you provide at events: When you attend Pranger-hosted events we collect your name, email address, company name, address and phone number during the registration process. When you engage with us at trade shows, events, seminars, lectures, and conferences, we collect information you provide to us, such as your name, email address, company or firm name, address and phone number.
- Information we collect automatically: When you visit our Site, we automatically collect the following usage details: (a) Browser type; (b) Operating system; (c) IP address; (d) Device ID; (e) Browsing History; (f) Domain name from which you access our Site (g) Other click-stream data
- This information is mandatory, and we collect it to make our Services easier to use and to personalize the content for you. We will also use this information to conduct audits and troubleshooting activities.
How we use information
We use the information we collect about you to:
- Provide and improve our Services: We use information about you to provide and analyze how you use our Services, develop new products and services, and improve functionality, efficiency and quality of your customer experience.
- Communicate with you: We use the information about you to answer your inquiries and send important notices that pertain to our Services.
- Send newsletter: We will send you our newsletters if you consent to it recent them.
- Market Services: We will send marketing emails with your consent. We advertise our Services on social media platforms, such as Twitter or Facebook, but we will not directly contact you or collect your information through these platforms.
- Billing: We will use your information for billing purposes. We collect your name, address, email address, and credit card billing information to send billing notices.
Legal basis for processing
We collect and process information about you according to applicable law and with transparency and fairness. The legal basis for processing depends on the Services you use and how you use them. We collect and use personal information about you:
- With your consent
- In order to fulfill our contractual obligations to you
- For the legitimate purpose of operating our business, including to improve and develop our services, for fraud prevention purposes, and to improve user experience
- As otherwise in compliance with law
- Types of cookies used: We use session-based and persistent-based cookies. Session cookies exist only during one session. They disappear from your mobile device when you close your browser, mobile application, or turn off your device. Persistent cookies remain on your device after you close your browser or turn off your device.
Do Not Track” technologies
We currently do not respond to web browser “Do Not Track” signals.
How we share information
We share information about you with third-party service providers and other third parties only in the manner described below:
- Service providers: We share information about you with our third-party vendors and other service providers that perform services for us, on our behalf, which may include providing mailing or email services, billing or invoicing services, tax and accounting services, payments processing, data enhancement services, fraud prevention, web hosting, or providing analytic services. These service providers are authorized to use your information only as necessary to provide services on our behalf and under our direction.
- Partners: We work with other third-parties who act as our associates and partners to offer you joint products and services. If you decide to use such products or services, we will share certain information about you with our partners in accordance with this Notice, our Terms and Conditions, and any applicable provisions of our partner and client agreements.
- Legal needs: We will disclose information about you when we believe that disclosure is (a) Required to comply with laws, regulation, subpoena, legal process or enforceable governmental request; (b) Necessary to enforce the provisions of this Notice; (c) Necessary to protect against harm to the rights, property, or safety of Pranger, our clients, or the public as required or permitted by law
International data transfers
We collect information globally. We may transfer your information outside of the country in which you originally provided it to where our affiliated companies, partners, associates and third-party service providers operate. These countries may not have the same data protection laws as the country in which you provided your personal data. In particular, the European Commission has determined that the United States does not provide an adequate level of data protection.
Where appropriate or legally required, we will describe how we use personal information we collect about you so you can make choices about how we use your information. You can notify us during the information collection process and change your preferences at any time by contacting us directly.
- Transactional emails: From time to time, we send transactional emails notifying you about your invoices, payments, information about changes to our products and services, and other disclosures as required by law. You may not opt-out of such transactional service messages.
- Marketing communications: With your consent, we may contact you by email to market our Services. If you would like to opt-out of further marketing communications, you can click the “unsubscribe” link in the bottom of any marketing email or email us at email@example.com. We will process your opt-out requests as soon as possible, but please note that it may take us up to 30 days to process your request and you may receive a few more messages until your request is processed.
- Third-Party marketing, advertising, and other communications: You may opt-in to receive emails or other communications from our associates, partners and affiliates. If you do opt-in, you may be subject to the third-party’s separate Privacy Notice. You are responsible for managing your email preferences subject to that statement. Please note that some advertising companies may gather information about your visit to the Services through cookies, web beacons, and other technologies in order to enable advertising companies to market products or services to you, to monitor which ads have been served to your browser, and which webpages you were viewing when such ads were delivered.
Please note that if you do opt-out of or do not grant consent to receiving marketing related messages from us, we may still send you non-marketing messages, such as communications relating to the provision of Services.
Your data privacy rights
Depending on the country where you are located, you may have the following rights in connection with information we collect about you:
- A right to lodge a complaint with the supervisory authority if our Services’ data collection practices do not comply with the laws and regulations.
- A right of access to information we collect about you. We may charge a reasonable, administrative fee, if further copies of information are requested.
- A right to rectify inaccuracies in information we collect about you.
- A right to object to specific types of processing, such as direct marketing, processing based on legitimate interests or performance of a task in the public interest/ exercise of official authority, and processing for research or statistical purposes.
- A right to have information we collect about you ‘erased’ or restrict processing of such information.
- A right to withdraw consent for future processing of information about you that we collected.
If you wish to exercise these rights, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will respond to your request within 30 days. Depending on your location, you may have the right to file a complaint with a government regulator if you are not satisfied with our response.
California residents’ rights
California Civil Code Section 1798.83 permits visitors to the Services who are California residents to request certain information regarding our disclosure of their personal information to third-parties for their direct marketing purposes. To make such a request, please contact us at the address mentioned below. We do not share your information with third parties for their direct marketing purposes unless you consent to such disclosure, typically by “opting in” to receive information from a third-party that is participating in a sweepstakes or other promotion. If you do ask us to share your information with a third-party for its marketing purposes, we will only share information in connection with that specific promotion, as we do not share information with any third-party (other than our service providers) on a continual basis.
Data retention and disposal
We store information about you as long as it is necessary to provide our Services and fulfill our legal obligations.
We use data hosting service providers in the United States to host the information we collect. We may transfer the personal information we obtain about you to other countries, which may have different data protection laws than the country in which you initially provided the information. To the extent required by applicable law, we will take measures to protect the cross-border transfer of your information.
We use reasonable and appropriate physical, technical, and administrative industry safeguards to protect information from unauthorized access, use, loss, misuse or unauthorized alteration. We will make reasonable efforts to protect personal information stored on our servers from unauthorized access using commercially available computer security products (for example, firewalls), as well as carefully developed security procedures and practices. Notwithstanding our security safeguards, it is impossible to guarantee 100% security in all circumstances. If you have any questions about our security practices, you can contact us at the address listed below.
Our Services are intended for a general audience and are not directed to children. We do not knowingly collect personal information online from children under the age of 13. If you believe that a child under the age of 13 may have provided us with personal information, please contact us at email@example.com and we will promptly delete that information from our records.
Third party services, applications and websites
Certain third party services or websites you use, or navigate to or from our Site (such as social media sites) may have separate user terms and privacy policies that are independent of this Notice. We are not responsible for the privacy practices of these third party services or applications. We recommend carefully reviewing the user terms and privacy statement of each third party service, website, and/or application prior to use.
Changes to Privacy Notice
We may update this Notice to reflect changes in our personal data practices or relevant laws. We will notify you if we make any material changes by revising the “effective date” at the top of this Notice. We encourage you to review this Notice for updates each time you use our Services. If you do not agree to the changes made to this Privacy Notice, we recommend that you stop using our services.
If you have any questions about our privacy practices, or if you would like to exercise your rights, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or write to us at:
Pranger Law PC
Attn: Data Protection Officer
88 Guy Place Suite 405
San Francisco, CA 94105 USA